First job: Squeegeeing tennis courts. I climbed the ranks from squeegee boy to towel boy to ball boy until finally I became a man.
Since then: I’ve been a missionary in Patagonia, Chile, a poetry MFA graduate (as lucrative as it sounds), and a Certified Project Management Professional® (as fulfilling as it sounds).
Hidden talents: I can play piano by ear but only with my arms crossed. I speak fluent-ish Spanish. I have a black belt in thrift shopping—someone interviewed me about it.
Likes: In no particular order except for the first one: my wife (Jo), David Bowie, Larry David, detective novels, comedy podcasts, mid-century pottery, fashion, this poem.
TL;DR: I’m a copywriting student at VCU Brandcenter. I strive to go past "good enough" to get to "great." I'm always trying to learn.
- Reach me at email@example.com.
- See my resume and more embarrassing things below.
VCU Brandcenter | 2017–2019
MS in Advertising, Copywriting
• Brandcenter Excellence Scholarship
BYU | 2013–2014, 2005–2009
MFA in Creative Writing, Poetry
• Clinton F. and Naomi B. Larson Scholarship for Creative Writing
BA in English; Editing Minor
• Graduated with University Honors
• New York State Summer Writers Institute Scholarship
LDS Church | 2014–17, 2010–2012
Copywriter + Creative Lead
• Creative lead for social media, web, and email marketing
• Managed web production and publishing
• Earned PMP credential
• The Richmond Show
• Academy of American Poets College Prize
• Western Regional Honors Council Award for Poetry
• 1st prize, Vera Hinckley Mayhew Creative Arts Contest
• Carolyn Barnes Poetry Award